Firefighters put out a blaze that sent flames through the roof of a south side Burger King early Monday morning, according to the Madison fire department.
The fire was called in at the restaurant on the corner of Park Street and Badger Road around 4:40 a.m. Monday. Fire officials said employees preparing the open the restaurant found the fire in the deep fryer.
An employee tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out with fire extinguishers.
The fire was reported by a passerby ho reported smoke and flames coming from the roof.
When firefighters arrived, they quickly put out the blaze.
?Madison fire made a quick attack, knocked down the fire with a hose line, and started pulling down the ceiling because the fire had gotten up into the ceiling,? Madison Fire Department spokesman Eric Dahl said.
Fire officials said no one was hurt. Officials said they expect the restaurant to be closed for a few days while workers clean up the damage.