Madison Utilities: Make sure your pipes are protected | Home & Garden
Madison Water Utility officials are hoping a few quick tips will help residents avoid costly -- and dangerous pipe bursting accidents during the extreme cold.
According to a release, MWU has initiated emergency water shut-offs at six unoccupied homes because of burst pipes. But, officials say there are a few simple steps customers can take.
- If you have heating tape around pipes, make sure it's plugged in.
- Double-check that outdoor spigots are off and all hoses are disconnected.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas.
- Leave some heat on in unused areas of the home.
- Keep the thermostat on at least 55 degrees if you're going out of town
- If leaving town for extended period of time, have pipes winterized.
According to the release, all family members and household residents should know where the main water shut-off valve in the home is in case of a burst pipe.
To report a burst pipe or suspected problems call MWU at (608) 266-4661.